Saturday, March 19, 2011

Homemade Mayo!

We are doing a little experiment at our house over the next seven weeks. No grocery shopping. Zero. Nada. None! As a result we are going to run out of a couple of things and I get to figure out how to make other things work. Well, today I decided to try my hand at homemade mayonnaise. I tried to make mayo a few weeks ago and it was an utter failure. As you can see today was a success and I can't be more thrilled with how it turned out.
I did notice on the regular mayo container that it contains lemon juice. Once we run out of this I will make more with lemon juice and update this post. But this is pretty dang good tasting all by itself!

Homemade Mayonnaise
1 whole egg
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 T vinegar
1 C oil
Combine egg, sugar, salt, vinegar and 1/4 c of the oil in a blender. Blend it together really well and then as slowly as you possibly can drizzle the remaining oil in. Turn the blender up to a decent speed. It should thicken as you add the oil and you may have to continue turning up the blender to get it all mixed in.
Enjoy with your favorite boiled eggs or tuna! Yay!!!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Ginny, I made this this morning and loved it! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...