Friday, March 18, 2011

Never ending Buttermilk

I am forever running out of buttermilk and that stuff is expensive. I was reading somewhere on the internet thatyou can have a never ending supply of buttermilk if you have a little cultured buttermilk to start and regular milk. So I decided to give it a try. Last night I added buttermilk to milk and this morning I have a beautiful, creamy, delicious smelling jar of buttermilk. I am so excited. This is going to take my baking and cooking to another level.

I have powdered milk coming in a few days and I am going to experiment and see if I can make buttermilk from the starter and powdered milk. I hope it works. I am so super excited about this discovery.

Anyway, here is how you do it:

Never ending Buttermilk
1 part buttermilk
3 parts milk

Mix together and let sit on the counter for 24 hours but no more than 36 hours. Then keep it in the refrigerator until you need it. Once you need to make a new batch make sure you saved some from this batch and do it all again! If it doesn't get thick and creamy than the starter is bad and you will need to start again.

UPDATE: I just made this with the starter and nonfat dry powdered milk and it worked great! I am so excited about this because I was concerned I would have to buy regular milk to make buttermilk. Life is good right now!

2 comments:

Kristen @ Who's Watching the Baby? said...

You're right, that is life-changing. Does it have to be whole milk? Probably, right? I see lots of scones in my future! And pancakes! Yay yay!

TCallihan said...

do you then keep it in the refrigerator until you take some from it again to make a new batch??? or are you making every meal with buttermilk :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...