Saturday, January 10, 2009

Alton's Macaroons




I have to be honest when I say that I have never really liked coconut. I don't know why. It's just one of those things.

But as I have gotten older my tastes have changed quite a bit. For example, as a kid I loved cocoa puffs. Now I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole- Ick!
And coconut seems to be following the same pattern. I wouldn't just sit and eat it from the bag but I really like it in things. Like german chocolate frosting especially. LOL
When I saw Alton's little video on foodtv.com I figured it would be worth a try to attempt his macaroons. Well it was a success and I have eaten a couple too many I think.

Alton Browns Macaroons
14 oz shredded coconut
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt
2 oz sweetened condensed milk
4 lg egg whites
5 oz sugar
6 oz chocolate chips
1 oz shortening
macadamian nut pieces
Preheat oven 325 degrees. Mix the coconut, vanilla, salt and sweetened condensed milk together with your hands. This is very important because you don't get to squish coconut between your fingers every single day- live in the moment. In another bowl beat egg whites until they are frothy and then slowly add the sugar. Beat until soft peaks then fold the whites into the coconut mixture in stages.
Put onto a cookie sheet that is lined with parchment paper in tablespoon amount. Bake for 20-25 minutes. While cookies are baking melt the chocolate and shortening together. Once cookies have cooled a bit dip the tops into the chocolate and then sprinkle with nuts. ENJOY!!! They are yummy. Kind of like a mounds bar, but not really.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yum. Those look good.

it's weird how tastes change...I now like pickles and chocolate (not together of course).

Cooking for Comfort by Jennifer said...

Wow....those look awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...