Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Broccoli Salad- a.k.a- Heaven in a bowl


My friend, Linda, made this salad for us one night when she brought over dinner. I basically ate almost the entire thing by myself and ever since then I have wanted more. When the broccoli, cauliflower and green onions all starting getting ready in the garden I knew it was time for magic. I called her and got the recipe. She told me that one of the ingredients was a poppy seed dressing that she just bought. I went to the store determined to make the salad and get the dressing but when I saw how expensive the dressing was($5 for a small bottle) I wrote down all the ingredients that were listed on the back and came home and made my own. Perfection and no additives!

You can add more or less of any item listed below according to your tastes. And it is best to make this at least 2 hours before serving to let all the flavors blend. It is best the next day!


Heavenly Broccoli Salad- 

1 large head broccoli, cut into small pieces
1 large head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
3 green onions, chopped
2/3 C raisins
1/3 C raw sunflower seeds, shelled
1/2 lb bacon, cooked and chopped small
1 large handful of raw, unsalted cashews

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.Mix to combine and then pour the dressing over the top, stirring to coat the veggies!

Poppyseed Dressing

1/3 C sugar (I used evaporated cane juice)
1/4 C white vinegar
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp grated onion
1 C oil- (I used canola but I will try it with olive next time)
1 T poppy seeds

In a blender blend together sugar, vinegars, salt, mustard and onion for about 20 seconds. With the blender on a higher speed slowly add in the oil in a steady stream. Stir in the poppy seeds.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...