Tuesday, July 3, 2012

100% Whole Wheat Pitas


I decided to take a 100 day real food challenge. It really hasn't been that hard and I am thinking of just incorporating it into my life period. It is a better way to live and I really feel better not bogged down with processed food substances.

I have actually eaten some really yummy stuff.

I already had a pita recipe but had tried it with 100% whole wheat and they were not soft or very good. Kind of like cardboard. I went searching online and found this recipe. I have made it twice already because they keep getting eaten so quickly- caprese pitas, chicken salad pitas, pita pizzas, even just eating them plain. They are that good.


100% Whole Wheat Pitas
makes 12 pitas

1 1/2 C warm water
1 T yeast
1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tsp honey
1 T vital wheat gluten
4-5 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp salt

Pour the water, yeast, oil, wheat gluten and honey in and electric stand mixer with dough hook and let sit until yeast is foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and salt and mix on medium speed for one minute. Turn the mixer lower and mix for two more minutes. Take the dough out and knead on a slightly floured counter until it is elastic and smooth. Let rise for 2 hours or until doubled.

Put a large cookie sheet in the oven and preheat to 500 degrees.

Turn out the dough and knead again for a minute or two. Cut into 12 pieces and shape into balls. Cover with plastic wrap or damp towel and let proof for 20 minutes.

Toll each one out into a medium circle. Cook 2 at a time by placing on the hot cookie sheet in the oven  for 3 minutes.They will puff up during cooking. Remove from oven with a spatula. Do not take the cookie sheet out of the oven.

Store in a plastic bag either on the counter or in the fridge. Stuff with yummy stuff!

1 comment:

Kimberly T. said...

Thanks for sharing. I always know Ican trust what you make to be delicious. I can't wait to try this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...