Friday, September 24, 2010

In celebration of Autumn!

I copy off a lot of recipes from the internet and then they pile up in a notebook until I try them out. These two were copied off just last week and didn't have to wait long for their debut. The exclamations once eaten were, "I just want to rub this all over my face", "I want to bathe in it, I would be sticky, but I would bathe in it", "Mom you should bottle this syrup and sell it at farmers markets when we move."

So first I would like to thank Gina, my dear friend from college days, for sharing her Buttermilk Syrup. Mornings will never be the same. And to the Pumpkin Waffle recipe owner (who ever you are) I love you!

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
4 large eggs, separated
2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted


Preheat oven to 250°F and preheat waffle iron. Sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, and spices. Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl with buttermilk, pumpkin, and butter until smooth. Whisk in dry ingredients just until combined.
In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until they hold soft peaks.  Fold them gently into the waffle batter, until just combined.
Brush waffle iron lightly with oil and spoon batter into waffle iron, spreading quickly. Cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Transfer waffles to rack in oven to keep warm and crisp.

Gina's Buttermilk Syrup
1/2 C butter, melted
1 C sugar ( I used organic cane sugar)
3/4 C buttermilk
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp vanilla
In a saucepan combine butter, sugar and buttermilk and cook just until boiling. Remove from heat and add soda and vanilla. Then rub it all over your face! :)

2 comments:

charmaine said...

Can't wait to try it. Your whole family is soooo amazing. I love you guys!

TCallihan said...

Do you refrigerate this syrup? Looks yummy too bad we can't have it at our house ;(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...