Thursday, August 21, 2008

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

Okay- I know I said I was going on a pumpkin sabbatical until October, but let me explain myself. It starts with the chickens.
Our chickens started laying about a month or so ago. Some of the eggs have been as small as robin eggs others we have found in the forest because of escapee chickens and others have had squishy shells. Yesterday we gathered one that was cracked and then another one this morning. So I cracked them and put the eggs in a bowl with the plan to make something today.
As I opened the fridge I realized that I had about a cup of pumpkin leftover from the last pumpkin adventures. I sifted through my stack of 'recipes to try' and found a recipe for pumpkin oatmeal cookies. Perfect I thought, but then I noticed that it called for only one egg. Drats! So I leafed through the recipes again and found one for Honey Cranberry Oat bread. Why not I thought. I had frozen cranberries anyway.
So I mix up the dough and put it in the pan, although it said it was supposed to go into two pans, but only fit in one. I put it in the oven to bake.
Now the oven story! Well, you see we lived in this amazing house that my husband built for me. Complete with a brand new double oven. We decided to sell the house and moved into this rental home that has an oven from the 40's. Did they make ovens then? Anyway, when you put it to cook on 350 degrees it figures you meant 3,500 degrees and bakes accordingly. So watching the oven has become an undesirable past time. Oh, how I miss my double oven!
Well, after a crazy morning and falling down the stairs again- this is the second time in a week- I didn't watch the oven as closely as I should and the outside got a bit crispy. I went to take it out of the oven, burned myself, and promptly dropped it on the floor.
Now the floor was recently cleaned so I took the scalped top and placed it back on top of the bread to let it cool. Once it was a little cool I decided to try and get it out of the pan. Needless to say, the bread didn't make it (and it was not cooked in the middle) and I turned to the cookies. I can actually laugh about all this now, because I think- does this honestly happen to other people?
That said- do I still have anyone with me?
The cookies mixed up very easily and I plopped them down on to the cookie sheets for baking. I had to alter the temp from 400 degrees down to 375 and then down again to 350. That was perfect. Now these are just like normal, puffy pumpkin cookies. They taste good but I think if I ever make them again I will add chocolate chips instead of raisins.


Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
About 5 dozen.

1 cup Canned Pumpkin
1 cup Sugar
1 3/4 cups Rolled Oats
1 Egg(beaten)
1 1/2 cups Flour (1 C whole wheat, 1/2 C white)
3/4 cup Shortening
1cup Raisins or Chopped Nuts
1 /2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoons Nutmeg
3/4teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Salt
Preparation Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
Add and mix shortening. Stir until mixture is crumbly.
Stir in egg, pumpkin, oats and raisins(or nuts).
Drop teaspoonfuls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet. You might want to press them down a little.
Bake ten minutes or until done.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...