Monday, August 8, 2011

Sweet Zucchini Relish


My older girls discovered sometime ago that they both had a love for sweet relish. I am not a fan, but they are. They would put it in tuna and just 'ooh' and 'ahh' about how much they loved it. Our garden has been producing zucchini pretty well this year. We've already had zucchini fries, zucchini bread, and fried zucchini. I decided to try some relish and they LOVED it! Whew! I had all the ingredients on hand and made the first batch small- just 2 pints. Once I knew it was going to get eaten I made more- 4 pints. They really like to eat it with our fresh canned salmon.

Sweet Zucchini Relish
Makes 2 pints

2 C chopped zucchini
1 C chopped onion
1 C sweet green pepper, chopped
2 T salt
1 3/4 C sugar
2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp mustard seed
1 C cider vinegar

Combine zucchini, onion, and pepper in bowl. Cover with water and sprinkle salt over the top. Let sit for two hours. Drain off the water and rinse well. In a saucepan combine the remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Add vegetables and simmer for 10 minutes. You can pack in hot jars and process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes or you can just put in a jar in your fridge to use immediately.

3 comments:

Billy said...

That is so funny that your girls love putting it in tuna, I also do! In fact, I had it this morning.. Relish goes so amazingly in tuna, especially sweet relish. I cannot it eat without it! Thank you for sharing this recipe, cannot wait to try making this at home for my tuna!

Kevin and Angela Lawrence said...

I'm actually looking for a recipe for relish because it's not available where we live and my kids NEED it for tuna! LOL! How fun! Thanks for sharing from the Lawrence Family in Guatemala!

Unknown said...

I have made a variation very similar to this for years with those forgotten baseball size zuc's we missed. You are so right this stuff is
AWESOME!!!!!
I use it in place of pickle relish for most things. It is really good in tuna salad and in my deviled eggs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...