Thursday, February 24, 2011

Homemade BBQ sauce

A little while ago we realized that we were out of bbq sauce. My 14 yr old son adores bbq sauce. He would eat it on almost everything I think. Anyway, we decided to have a contest. I would make some and he would make some and we would see which we liked best. He added all sorts of crazy stuff to his pot and I got a recipe off the internet that had like 600+ reviews and tweaked it. Needless to say, his sauce was a little strong after adding about half the bottle of hickory smoke and mine became the families new favorite. We no longer buy bbq sauce and tonight I made another batch.
This recipe make 3 pint sized jars of sauce. The upside down jars is me experimenting with sealing the lids. I do it with jams with no problem so I thought I'd give it a shot with the sauce. I guess the canning people don't recommend doing this though.
But try the sauce. It rocks!

Homemade BBQ sauce 

2 C ketchup
2 C tomato sauce
1 1/4 C brown sugar
1 1/4 C white vinegar
1/2 C molasses
4 tsp hickory smoke
2 T butter
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion pwd
1 tsp chili pwd
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer for 20 minutes. If you want it thicker just simmer longer. Place in your container of choice. It is good on just about everything. Just ask the 14 yr old! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...